Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
jUst noticed this yesterday. I was really wanting to do a road course event (VIR Charity Laps) coming up at the end of May, but the last thing I want to do is blow the front and smack a wall...

So what do you think, will this thing hold up or am I asking for disaster?

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
I don't like the look of that. I wouldn't chance it. Tires are cheaper than bumpers.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I would, it probably wouldn't pass tech anyway.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Um, yes, I would. And I see your problem... "Made in Japan"

·
Registered
242 Posts
I'd replace it even on a normal daily driver. That doesn't look good. Looks like a Nitto Invo.

·
Registered
737 Posts
i agree replace it when you can.... talk to who sold you the tire. maybe theres a warranty on it?

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It depends on how deep the cut is. If it's 2/32" or more, replace it right away.
Just stuck my tread depth gauge in it....right at 2/32" deep. Looks like I'm ordering a new one. I sure would like to do those charity laps in may. Been itching to get this thing out on the road course.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
I'd replace it asap, it could blow today or take months. Who knows when, it's just a chance you'd be taking. Imo, not worth risking your safety.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
I would still send a picture to Nitto, maybe they'll consider replacing it.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Um, yes, I would. And I see your problem... "Made in Japan"
I don't get that statement, a lot of good stuff is made in Japan. Nitto tires are generally great tires.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts

·
HeapBlaster
442 Posts
replace it... i honestly would be afraid to drive it to get replaced... invos are really ****tily made tires for what they cost... but they are a lot cheaper than a real tire...

·
Registered
531 Posts
I would still send a picture to Nitto, maybe they'll consider replacing it.
Not likely, considering he's not the original purchaser of the tire. Plus, virtually no manufacturer provides road hazard warranty anymore. That's something that you usually buy at the dealer.

The only time Nitto (or any other tire mfr) would consider replacing the tire is if the tire is fairly new and you destroy one. Called a "policy concession" and you wouldn't get 100%, usually 50-75% credit. His tire is obviously worn quite a bit and from the pic, it looks like an impact break, which is not covered by any mfr warranty.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Not likely, considering he's not the original purchaser of the tire. Plus, virtually no manufacturer provides road hazard warranty anymore. That's something that you usually buy at the dealer.

The only time Nitto (or any other tire mfr) would consider replacing the tire is if the tire is fairly new and you destroy one. Called a "policy concession" and you wouldn't get 100%, usually 50-75% credit. His tire is obviously worn quite a bit and from the pic, it looks like an impact break, which is not covered by any mfr warranty.
You're probably right, but I always try if it's a defect. I had the same issue with a Blizzak a few yrs ago where it bubbled the sidewall. Sent it to Bridgestone. They gave me a discount card for my next purchase. I was SOL on the spot, but they helped out for the future.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts