Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
845 Posts
Why should I feel slapped in the face? That article was spot on, and good business

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why should I feel slapped in the face? That article was spot on, and good business
Frankly I disagree.

Forcing buyers into a situation like this will lose buyers at an alarmimg rate and gives the entire Chevy lineup a black eye. It makes buyers think that GM does not activly seek to supply them with a product they desire.

·
Registered
5,682 Posts
Bob Bell Chevrolet told me they will not be having one for the showroom floor because of the pre order deal. The salesman said they were all exited to get the SS in but after this they don't plan to sell more then a couple a year now making it not worth bothering with unless the customer REALLY wants one.

Way to go GM can you POSSIBLY fuk things up anymore?!?! Oh I know lets change it to be a 4 cyl turbo 1.8 liter engine. Morons!

·
That's ME!
4,022 Posts
Not a big deal. You order and wait... if you really want what you want, then you wait.

Yamaha did the same thing with the FJR1300 initially, then enough interest was created and they started importing them without an order.

What's the big deal... put your money where your mouth is.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Its good from a business stand point. I think the majority of reaction to the SS has been pretty negative considering what I've seen on this board and others. By making it built to order, they can guage the market before shipping tons of them here then watching them sit on the lots. It gives the customer the opportunity to have the car built to their desire while allowing GM to save face if not a lot of these sell. Its a win win situation. 90 days isn't that bad if your getting the car you want built to your exact specs. But all that said, the SS looks like garbage. I'll be happy to not see a ton of those things roaming around.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
I don't know what the big deal is either. I had my G8 "tagged" from the GMinventory site, then waited the 90 days for it to be delivered. I got exactly what I wanted, and used the wait time to increase my down payment. Frankly, I look at this as a win/win for the dealers and customer.:wink2:

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
G8>SS, therefore I'm not bothered.

·
Registered
21 Posts
too many other cars in that segment that people can buy instead. nobody is gonna wait for a chevy for 3 months, specially one with no MT as an option

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Its good from a business stand point. I think the majority of reaction to the SS has been pretty negative considering what I've seen on this board and others. By making it built to order, they can guage the market before shipping tons of them here then watching them sit on the lots. It gives the customer the opportunity to have the car built to their desire while allowing GM to save face if not a lot of these sell. Its a win win situation. 90 days isn't that bad if your getting the car you want built to your exact specs. But all that said, the SS looks like garbage. I'll be happy to not see a ton of those things roaming around.

The logistics of getting one in 90 days after you order one are under perfect conditions. Perfect rarely happens, especially when it comes to shipping.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't know what the big deal is either. I had my G8 "tagged" from the GMinventory site, then waited the 90 days for it to be delivered. I got exactly what I wanted, and used the wait time to increase my down payment. Frankly, I look at this as a win/win for the dealers and customer.:wink2:
If it really took you 90 days to get it from the time of order then I am impressed, because I wouldn't think it possible.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Bob Bell Chevrolet told me they will not be having one for the showroom floor because of the pre order deal. The salesman said they were all exited to get the SS in but after this they don't plan to sell more then a couple a year now making it not worth bothering with unless the customer REALLY wants one.

Way to go GM can you POSSIBLY fuk things up anymore?!?! Oh I know lets change it to be a 4 cyl turbo 1.8 liter engine. Morons!
Hahaha love this. Maybe they can throw in front wheel drive as well.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So ok, how many people are going to turn around and walk out of the dealership as soon as they hear "no we don't have one, but if you give us your non refundable deposit of 10% of sticker price and wait a minimum of 90 days........"

·
Administrator
4,924 Posts
I do see their reasoning behind doing this but I agree with Busted Knuckle. Not being able to see the car on the lot or in a showroom is going to make for a lot less of these being sold and probably will result in the SS getting axed all together.

·
Premium Member
4,210 Posts
I see GMs strategy in learning from their previous mistakes, but isnt there some kind of middle ground that can accomplished between made to order 90+ day wait period and flooding the lots with 100,000 units?

My personal thought is that this is a passive display of their total uncertainty. GM created a forum storm amongst us LS lovers for the last year. Is it going to be an LSA? Is it going to have a M6? Will it have AWD? Will it have Magnetic Ride Control? We all asked ourselves these questions.

Daytona came and went and we were finally given the answers...a glorified GXP with an LS3 with no M6 that resembles a hybrid between a Commodore (front) and a Malibu (rear). Top that off with an inflated price.

If GM is weary, shouldn't we be too?

·
09 SBM G8 GT
261 Posts
pshh, this just reinforces the fact that i will not be trading in my g8 for a chevy SS, they're not that nice, look to much like the new impala to me, i prefer my sporty lookin front of the g8 over the SS personally.

·
Premium Member
1,933 Posts
looks like i'll be getting the new twin turbo CTS instead.

1 - 20 of 108 Posts