Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Pontiac G8 GT, White Hot, Premium, Sport
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased an xpipe for my g8, and after calling a few local exhaust shops nobody is willing to install it for me. Any recomendations on the best way to do it? Is it actually difficult?

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
You gotta be kidding me....
There's a place up here, Zoro's, that would have you in and out in 40 mins, I had other work done but it was less than $200.
Probably because you brought someone else's part not there's, kinda childish.

·
Premium Member
6,696 Posts
Did they state a reason(s) for not wanting to install the x-pipe?

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
If the shop has tons of prebent pipes hanging on the wall, don’t bother. They likely don’t do much if any custom work. A hot rod or an off road truck shop will likely do it. Your 2.25” x-pipe and the shop will supply close to 4 feet of pipe to get it done. Your choice to keep the bullet resonators or not.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Post your location or put this post in the regional forum closest to you and I'm sure someone can tell you where to get it done.

·
Premium Member
6,696 Posts
Great idea. Per the user's profile its Oklahoma, Central.

·
Registered
2009 Pontiac G8 GT, White Hot, Premium, Sport
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, they said it is hard and will take all day

·
Registered
99 Posts
Yes, they said it is hard and will take all day
If you have a jack and stand you can do it yourself in about 2 hours assuming it will bolt right up depending on what you have.

·
Premium Member
969 Posts
IIRC correctly, It's a matter of fitting the "X" in the same space that you cut the mid-muffler out of. When I did mine, the spacing of the stock plumbing wasn't as wide as the spacing on the X-Pipe I bought. In order to fit it right and in to the same space that you just cut the mid-muffler out of, I had to have couple additional lengths of pipe fabricated that were slightly bent outwords to line up to the X-pipe. I think this might be the issue they're claiming.

This isn't the greatest pic (I was doing something under it this weekend on my lift), in terms of the actual plumbing I did awhile back. But if you look at the alignment of the "X" pipe with the alignment to the remaining pup resonators, you can see that they're a little wider in spacing. This is what I am referring to and again, might be the issue that the shop is claiming. Now if it takes them all day to do this, they've got other issues.

20210403_141835.jpg

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
Once you cut the mid muffler out. Loosen the connections at the back of the cats. That will allow some movement to make the front pipes match the X-pipe. Most X-pipes are the same spacing as dual inlet mufflers. Production variances are what you see here

1 - 11 of 11 Posts