Votes: 2 5.0%
  • None, leave it stock

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
I know you did not quote me but I said similar things so....

Like I clearly stated earlier, that is what I have read and if you are such an exhaust expert then maybe you can shed the light on what the purpose of the H pipe application is if it clearly does not provide more hp or torque.

Why would any person/manufacture ever put an H pipe on anything if that was the case, and also since you are the expert I'd like to know why most vehicles that are indended for towing are equiped with an H pipe when there is a dual exhaust present from the factory?
Cut open a factory h-pipe you will see in most cases it is actually a very small balancing tube inside the actual exhaust piping that flows very little. It is cheap to produce compared to an x-pipe but it does help better than having no cross-over at all. As far as HotRod magazine goes they are a joke I wouldn't quote them as an authority on anything. There are a couple of really good articles on this subject where extensive dyno and track testing was done and the x-pipe provided noticeable gains of .15 in the 1/4 mile all day long over an h-pipe on a GM V-8 at the strip.

I don't have a problem with ElTejano but people who cut their mufflers off, go from duals to a y-pipe, and otherwise ghetto rig their exhaust on a brand new car are not who I would be taking advice from for my future mods. There are lots of things that can be improved upon production cars like the air intakes but GM doesn't do that either - but it doesn't mean that they are better. The previous poster hit the nail on the head that an x-pipe is a progression of the h-pipe which is why you see that is almost all anyone uses anymore.

But if you want to listen to him go ahead because I will just beat you that much worse if I see you out on the street :slap:

·
Hispanic Causing Panic
1,643 Posts
Cut open a factory h-pipe you will see in most cases it is actually a very small balancing tube inside the actual exhaust piping that flows very little. It is cheap to produce compared to an x-pipe but it does help better than having no cross-over at all. As far as HotRod magazine goes they are a joke I wouldn't quote them as an authority on anything. There are a couple of really good articles on this subject where extensive dyno and track testing was done and the x-pipe provided noticeable gains of .15 in the 1/4 mile all day long over an h-pipe on a GM V-8 at the strip.

I don't have a problem with ElTejano but people who cut their mufflers off, go from duals to a y-pipe, and otherwise ghetto rig their exhaust on a brand new car are not who I would be taking advice from for my future mods. There are lots of things that can be improved upon production cars like the air intakes but GM doesn't do that either - but it doesn't mean that they are better. The previous poster hit the nail on the head that an x-pipe is a progression of the h-pipe which is why you see that is almost all anyone uses anymore.

But if you want to listen to him go ahead because I will just beat you that much worse if I see you out on the street :slap:
LOL...first H-pipes are not meant to provide flow but rather the common H-style crossover is good at balancing sound pulses between the two halves, but does little to promote scavenging because the exhaust gases tend to follow the path of least resistance, which is straight through each pipe rather than taking the 90-degree turn through the H-pipe into the other half of the system. In an X-pipe system, however, where the two sides of the system intersect, the gases have no choice but to intermingle as they pass through the junction. This promotes improved scavenging effects by smoothing out uneven exhaust pulses from the engine’s firing order. It also helps quiet down the exhaust, resulting in a mellower tone.
Secondly, as to whether Hot Rod magazine is a joke or not, that's just your opinion. That publication has been around for years & I'm sure many people on this forum have read it, learned from it & liked it.
Now in regards to using a Y-pipe, I take it you mean me, since I'm the only one who has presented such an idea. FYI it was merely an idea & I haven't done it, not to sure if I will. But just so you know I have Dynomax X-pipe on my car. But hey don't knock the Y-pipe, that has advantages as well if set up correctly.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Reread the first sentence friend I just said it was a balancing tube inside an actual exhaust pipe. A y-pipe has no performance advantages over a x-pipe with true duals - total surface area of the exhaust being equal of course. Any publication that states an h-pipe will outperform an x-pipe is wrong - why do you think everyone sells x-pipes now? For example, the new C6 went from an h-pipe to an x-pipe from the factory for performance reasons.

And as for your y-pipe on the G8 idea yes it is absurd to think it is going to yield you anything but a loss to your dyno and your wallet, but go ahead it's your car! Just trying to prevent other forum members from flushing $$$ down the toilet with some of the goofy mod suggestions on this board :)

·
Hispanic Causing Panic
1,643 Posts
Anyhow, despite what OBSSD says, its a proven fact that there are differing hp & torque ranges at given rpm's for an X or H pipe. The argument as to which one is better is based on ones particular needs and/or likes.
The other proven fact is that there is no major difference between the two, again their use will be based on their intended purpose or preference.

·
Registered
1 Posts
How much hp and torque did I gain ( if any ) by removing the resonators and adding a cai , x pipe to magnaflow mufflers on a 2008 v6 3.6litre

21 - 25 of 25 Posts