Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone. I currently have solo axle back exhaust on with no other exhaust mods done. I am looking to make my exhaust a little louder and make it have some crackles and pops. Should I install a x-pipe instead of the resonators or the mid muffler? Also, is there a difference in having an x-pipe vs just straight piping? Lastly, what size x-pipe would I need if I go that route. Thank you in advance for the help!

·
Registered
99 Posts
i just did an x pipe and resonator delete. i have long tubes and pypes axle backs and it made it extremely louder. sounds great but a little too loud for a daily for me. I am going to be adding the magnaflow mid muffler everyone uses sooner or later. My exhaust guy used a 2.5in x pipe. It was pretty cheap to have him do just that so i dont mind that ill have to add a muffler. Id say go for x pipe and res delete it and add to it if needed if its not what your looking for.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would an x-pipe in place of the resonators make it louder? Looking to keep either resonator or mid muffler.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just contacted a pretty respected shop near me and was told it would take 3-4 hours to remove resonators and mid muffler and weld x pipe and some extra piping. He said their hourly rate is $120 without parts. So we are looking at $360-480 just for labor? I'm pretty sure this can all be done in about 1 hour. Going to keep looking around.

·
Registered
99 Posts
yea that's nuts. i paid 160 bucks and i left and returned in an hour and a half and he was already on to his next job.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hello everyone. I currently have solo axle back exhaust on with no other exhaust mods done. I am looking to make my exhaust a little louder and make it have some crackles and pops. Should I install a x-pipe instead of the resonators or the mid muffler? Also, is there a difference in having an x-pipe vs just straight piping? Lastly, what size x-pipe would I need if I go that route. Thank you in advance for the help!

If the budget allows, look into a set of headers when doing the x-pipe.
Pacesetter and Manzo make some decent inexpensive headers. Kooks makes a badass header but are pricey. It would be worth waiting to get all the exhaust done at one time.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sadly, being still in college, don't have much money to blow on the car at the moment. Went to two shops near me and they quoted me $270 and $290 for just labor no parts.... INSANE!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Cut out the mid muffler and have an X-pipe welded in it's place. Leave the resonators in.

I had mine welded in locally for $100 and it took 45 minutes.
What's the difference with an X vs just straight pipes into the resonators? Also, how loud would it be (drone, etc) with both mid-muffler and resonators deleted but keeping axlebacks?

·
Registered
469 Posts
What's the difference with an X vs just straight pipes into the resonators? Also, how loud would it be (drone, etc) with both mid-muffler and resonators deleted but keeping axlebacks?

A straight pipe means no crossover/balancing between the two exhaust banks. That means it's not as efficient, because no scavenging is occurring between the two sides and you will leave a few of HP/TQ on the table. From what I've read and heard, it will also make your exhaust sound a little choppy since each pipe is giving you the sound of a different exhaust bank separately.

An X-pipe is currently the most efficient crossover pipe and will net the most horsepower gain at high RPM, but will also introduce some rasp into your exhaust note that you may not want.

An H-pipe is a less-efficient crossover system that still allows scavenging between the two exhaust banks, but tends to give a deeper and "old-school" exhaust tone. From what I've read, the H does actually give a couple TQ higher in the mid RPM range, but loses out in HP the higher you go.

Assuming you still have the stock mufflers, you'll probably notice almost no difference in sound. Those factory mufflers REALLY suck.

If you do go with either an X or an H system, I'd recommend buying a universal kid from Summit or Jegs and taking it to a shop. The shop I went to charged I believe $160 to weld the universal in, and that was including a foot or so of his own tubing he had to use to cover the distance (I cut out the entire pup-cat to resonator assembly). If you do go that route, stock exhaust diameter is 2 1/4".

1 - 10 of 10 Posts