Pontiac G8 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
990 Posts
earlingy do you have the link ?
the ones i looked at all have different tailpipes set up and also you need to buy the controller secretively.
So when you all set and done it will coast more then the entire cat back system

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Gotcha. I don't use the arm rest outlet, so I might just leave it there for awhile. I did notice that it says not to hard wire it, and it will void the warranty, but that's directed at constant 12v source. I'd like to think wiring to a switched source would allow you to retain the warranty.

Cool
Right, I plan to leave all the wiring of the device as is, so any warranty should be retained.

earlingy do you have the link ?
the ones i looked at all have different tailpipes set up and also you need to buy the controller secretively.
So when you all set and done it will coast more then the entire cat back system
Summit Racing Varex Mufflers
2x $270 Muffler, 1x $59 controller, the shop I go to would charge me $100 for tips and $100 to do the welding. That's ~$800 vs. the $1349 catback that you have to install. Summit has been doing $50 off $500 pretty often recently. Keep in mind that it probably won't sound quite as good as a system designed cohesively (subjective), nor will it be as loud since you will still have resonators and a mid-muffler (fact).

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Shouldn't sound too bad. The solo axleback is almost a muffler delete and people love it. You can always partially open it and tune the sound it makes without getting any of the drone associated with most pieced-together systems. Even in full open you get a little attenuation.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Got mine installed on Saturday morning. It's awesome. :D The quality is top notch. Full 3" system that fits just like stock. And the adjustable hangers on the mufflers is a really nice touch to get it perfectly centered (both up/down and left/right) in the rear bumper cut outs.

The install was pretty straight forward, of course with the exception of mating it to the kooks, but the guy at the shop was able to cut the front pieces of the X-Force and make it work with a set of high flow cats. So it still bolts on the same way the XForce would bolt to stock cats, just different style.

In quiet mode, it's louder than stock since I have long tubes and cam, but it's quieter than when my car was all stock with solo axle backs. Still has a good tone, and makes it nice to cruise on the highway.

In loud mode, well, it's louder. Sounds a lot like other catbacks that have both center resonators and rear mufflers (something like stainless works). Once I get above 3-4000 RPM, it sounds really good.

One thing I noticed with opening and closing the flaps... With my setup, I can't really tell the difference in 25% open and 100% open. Basically once it's open a little bit, it's practically as loud as being fully open.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Awesome, I'll probably follow in your footsteps on the long tubes eventually.
Did you get the smart box as well or just the remote fobs? When I use the remote, it's hard to fine tune at all, basically loud or quiet. But with the app, you can customize the percentages. The 0 to 100 is definitely not linear, on my stock manifolds, 35 is about half volume and 60 is barely any quieter than 100. If you have the app, try 5, 10, 15 etc and you'll find a good medium. You can customize what those buttons are for presets, and they carry over to the active modes as well.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Ahhh OK. Makes sense. And no, I didn't get the smart box, just the key fobs for now. They open and close quite quickly when you activate it.

·
Registered
138 Posts
If anyone is looking to go to a Varex exhaust, I'm going to be selling my full system, ceramic coated full length headers w/high flow cats, and full 3" Varex exhaust with key fobs for the valves. System has about 500 miles on it and is being dismantled as we speak, I decided to go a different direction with my exhaust.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
If anyone is looking to go to a Varex exhaust, I'm going to be selling my full system, ceramic coated full length headers w/high flow cats, and full 3" Varex exhaust with key fobs for the valves. System has about 500 miles on it and is being dismantled as we speak, I decided to go a different direction with my exhaust.
Is it the Xforce brand headers?

·
Registered
138 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Yes, silver ceramic coated as well...
I may be interested in just the headers, but shipping is probably going to be prohibitively expensive... If you're ever in AL/TN or just desperate to sell maybe we can work something out...

i would be interested in the mufflers only
FYI the mufflers are part of a catback.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I may be interested in just the headers, but shipping is probably going to be prohibitively expensive... If you're ever in AL/TN or just desperate to sell maybe we can work something out...

FYI the mufflers are part of a catback.
I can get a quote for the headers, I still have the box they came in, what's your zip code?

Mufflers will be with the full catback as Earlingy quoted, I can separate the exhaust from the headers if you guys are both interested.

·
Registered
138 Posts
ok how much is the whole cat back ?
What's your zip code? I'll give you a fair price with shipping when I know what shipping will be. Everything only has 500 miles on it.

·
Registered
138 Posts

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Just in case any one is looking. Yes they DO sell the Axle Back Varex exhaust Again!
With or without the smart box

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I'd be careful ordering that. If you read the description on JHP's website selling that item in your picture, it says it is for cars WITH XFORCE CATBACKS. It's true that their catbacks have a flange at the same place but I doubt anyone is going to promise fitment, especially on a G8 which has a different rear bumper than some VEs... If you only want an axle back, just get the universal mufflers and have them welded it at a shop... Definitely cheaper than that $800 axleback that may or may not work.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts