Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 328 Posts

·
Registered
2009 GT, Black
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been to three shops in the Washington DC area to get a quote to upgrade my camshaft and none will provide a quote. Each is 2-3 months out before they could even start the work, if they did provide the quote. Either there are not many shops around or everyone has money to spend...

So, I have decided I am doing this myself. Is there a DIY guide out there or a mechanics web site I could subscribe to in order to provide some general directions in case I need them? I understand the basics of what needs to be done, just don't know the nuances.

I have seen the various camshaft discussions here on the forum so, I can probably pick out what to buy from those threads. I have never taken an engine apart if you will but have replaced everything over the years, water pumps, fuel pumps, starters, alternators, brakes, etc..

Figured what could happen? I get it done or it gets hauled off to have the engine replaced sometime in the future.

Any general direction would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2009 GT, Black
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok, thanks..

·
Registered
2009 GT, Black
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok, I went through the bobthemonkey post and have a better idea of what is needed. DOD Delete kit? Anyone have a suggestion as to which one to use? I will reach out to PatG for a cam suggestion..

·
Registered
2009 GT, Black
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Another question. If I decide to attempt this, should I go ahead and replace the heads since I have them off? Not trying to go crazy here. Looking at add 100-150 HP to stock when done. CAI is done. Headers soon with a Borla exhaust. Cam upgrade and a tune. Keep the L76 heads?

·
Registered
2009 GT, Black
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So, maybe replace the intake as well?

·
Registered
2009 GT, Black
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I reached out to GXPtuning as suggested above. He provided a suggestion for cam, DOD kit, oil pump and torque converter but said I would have to find a local tuner. Assuming I understood correctly..

·
Registered
2009 GT, Black
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Okay, I am about ready to dive in. Spoke to Pat G and got a suggestion on cam and other parts. Going to order those through BTR. I got access to the Alldata.com database to help me along and plan on starting late August/early Sept. I'll send pictures of this rookie's activity during or when I am done.

I hope it starts when I finish.:oops::oops:

·
Registered
2009 GT, Black
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
A lot of parts to install.

Completing the Monroe Shock/Strut replacement this coming weekend.

Started painting the CTS calipers yesterday. Have everything for the big brake install but the Russell brake lines and the wheel spacers. Both have been ordered.

2800 stall speed torque converter is on order.

The cam kit, timing kit and DOD kit have arrived from BTR. And, a new Chevrolet oil pump.

Received the HPIV 2+ tuner earlier this week.

Kooks long tube and green cat x-pipe have been ordered. Magnaflow axle back performance mufflers have been ordered with no delivery date at this time.

Wish me luck..

Reactions: 383_Stroker

·
Registered
2009 GT, Black
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
In my garage here at the house, Virginia. Completing shocks/struts this weekend. Then I am going to wait until mid-Sept to attempt the rest. Averaging 90's here mid day..

And yes, morning then evenings...

·
Registered
2009 GT, Black
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Thanks Pony Man.

JCMG8 - I appreciate the heads up on tools. I bought a flywheel holding tool yesterday. I am about to go run some errands so I'll stop by Harbor Freight for the ratchet. My current 1/2" torque wrench only goes to 200lbs/ft. I'll see if they have a longer handle one that goes to 245+. Do I need one that shows degrees? I read that somewhere along my way over the past two months while trying to get prepared here.

·
Registered
2009 GT, Black
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·

·
Registered
2009 GT, Black
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Just ordered..

·
Registered
2009 GT, Black
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Picked up a 50-250 lb Craftsman Torque Wrench from Lowes - $90

Ordered a Milwaukee 3/8" kit, wrench, battery, charger and bag with protection plan - $211

·
Registered
2009 GT, Black
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I have a tread chaser but will need to check the sizes when the time comes. Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
2009 GT, Black
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
My cam specs are BTR LS3 Stage 2 Duration @ 0.50 225/238 Valve Lift .620 .605 Lobe Sep 113+3, part number 32538133R1. Kit with gaskets, bolts, valve springs, etc..

Thanks for the torque specs..

·
Registered
2009 GT, Black
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Reading post #34 and following the link, I see mention of a replacement balancer and a replacement AC pulley. Should I do that as well?

·
Registered
2009 GT, Black
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Sorry, one more question, what number red and blue loctite should I use during reassembly?

·
Registered
2009 GT, Black
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Appreciate it..

·
Registered
2009 GT, Black
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Good tip..

Okay, real novice question..

When do I use the sealant, red and blue. Is there a document out there to tell me when to use each? I got access to the AllData web site. Maybe it is in there.. I'll look.

Any advice on the balancer and AC pulley?

·
Registered
2009 GT, Black
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Thanks for the comments.

This is my first time taking an engine apart so I plan on going slow.

1 - 20 of 328 Posts