Pontiac G8 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Facebook Moderator
1,452 Posts
i've been watching your vids for a while, i believe you ran a 14.2 N/A?

·
452rwhp LY7
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
i've been watching your vids for a while, i believe you ran a 14.2 N/A?
That run wouldn't of been me and those vids wouldn't be mine, I've kept this thing in the dark for the most part and taken very few videos of her. I think I've posted a couple of early pics around the place though from a while back. There are some N/A alloytecs running low 14's though.

Quickest N/A LY7 over here ran a 10.6 or so but the LY7 was sitting in a very small/light car fitted out for the strip so I don't really count it... that had a custom intake manifold and cams and may have even been stroked from memory... That was going back a couple of years now. I can't remember the details but I think someone made a mistake somewhere and blew the whole engine up to the point where absolutely nothing could be salvaged. They never put another one together and havent heard of any other LY7's running those numbers whether N/A or FI.

·
Registered
864 Posts
That run wouldn't of been me and those vids wouldn't be mine, I've kept this thing in the dark for the most part and taken very few videos of her. I think I've posted a couple of early pics around the place though from a while back. There are some N/A alloytecs running low 14's though.

Quickest N/A LY7 over here ran a 10.6 or so but the LY7 was sitting in a very small/light car fitted out for the strip so I don't really count it... that had a custom intake manifold and cams and may have even been stroked from memory... That was going back a couple of years now. I can't remember the details but I think someone made a mistake somewhere and blew the whole engine up to the point where absolutely nothing could be salvaged. They never put another one together and havent heard of any other LY7's running those numbers whether N/A or FI.
10.6??? was he on the bottle...

·
452rwhp LY7
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
10.6??? was he on the bottle...
Maybe... Couldn't tell you exact specs of the car or how they were running it at the time... The LY7 engine was transplanted into a very small and light car fitted out for the strip though which would've assisted a lot.

I've dug up a vid of the car for you all. The vid says they achieved 11.2, I'm sure later they later achieved 10.6 or so before they had some bad luck...

Having a look you will note the custom (and much larger) intake manifold and throttle body. Pretty sure this also has a custom set of camshafts and I think this was also stroked. I guess you could say these guys were pursuing the ultimate N/A path while I've pursued the FI pathway trying to keep the engine itself absolutely stock with nothing but bolt-ons. In the vid you will see for yourselves the LY7 looks a little different then normal!

Enjoy

·
Registered
18 Posts
Awesome info. Thanks so much for posting.

Are there any resources in Australia for the 5-speed that we have?

·
BANGARANG!!!
328 Posts
Our 5 speeds will be the death of us lol

·
452rwhp LY7
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Awesome info. Thanks so much for posting.

Are there any resources in Australia for the 5-speed that we have?
Our 5 speeds will be the death of us lol
Simply put, the 5 speeds are still a drama for us... I elected to buy the 4-speed for a reason lol.

There's some geeks looking into it over here but it's not high on anyones priority list. For simple performance packages (a CAI, full exhaust and tune where we can see up to 40rwhp gains due to some of the tuning now) the 5 speeds aren't an issue though. I assume the same is for you, but when serious modifications need to be made then yes, the 5 speeds are an obstacle leading to more $$$!

Sucks I know.

·
BANGARANG!!!
328 Posts
Out 5 speeds are only rated at 285hp so until someone figures out how to stop them from exploding i'll just have to drool over your turbo, cool?

·
I yam what I yam
619 Posts
The only reason timing chains were stretching is because the oil life monitors on the car were too prolonged, and owners who didnt subscribe to the "oil change every 3000m/5000km" philosophy would run they're oil down to the 5% and further territory. This in turn would not provide proper engine oil performance and hence would alllow the chains to become excessively hot and improperly lubricated, causing them to stretch and or break. I believe GM offered a reflash to fix the oil life indicator issue.
Not sure I buy into what you are saying.
1. I've never heard of any reflash from GM for the LY7.
2. My chains went out at around 35k miles.
3. I ran royal purple oil starting at 700 miles.
4. GM said that the royal purple was better than any oil they put in the engine and to keep running it. They even made the dealer replace it when they rebuilt the engine.

Not everyone has the chain problem. Some last for a long time, others don't, including other GM cars with the same LY7 engine.

·
Facebook Moderator
1,452 Posts
hmm, i wonder if MACE can tune my car if i do get a turbo kit..

Out 5 speeds are only rated at 285hp so until someone figures out how to stop them from exploding i'll just have to drool over your turbo, cool?
who said this?!

·
Ass or Cash. Get in.
109 Posts
Look, I'm not going to debate the timing chains issue, I'm only stating what GM had informed me. My chains stretched and dropped an engine at 60,000miles, and when warranty replaced the engine after teardown and a diagnosis was made, this is exactly what I was told. My ECM was reflashed at that time, a number of sensors were replaced, and I drove away.
As a technician, and have had dealt with a ton of costumers vehicles having become victim to catastrophic failures of an engine (not just the LY7) due to the fact that yes, they would rather use the provided oil life indicator rather then the "piece of mind every 3000 mile" rule, this particular information provided by GM themselves and they'r tech's made every bit of sense to me.
Regardless of what brand of oil you use or what particular additive boosters you may use, the LY7, and most modern engines are prone to the issue at hand here. I am not aware of your oil change schedule. But if you stick to the classic rule of "every 3k miles", and your timing chains still went at 35k, please do tell, because I might think at that point, of giving my G8 a heart transplant, because that just seems to reveal a product with terrible quality control and a substantial loss of consumer faith.

·
BANGARANG!!!
328 Posts
who said this?!
Tech doc's for the tranny, and 4 GM service techs. I was told after 285hp the tranny wouldnt hold up. Thats why our torque management is so bad stock even with the 256hp going to the tranny on a good day might fudge it up. Dunno if this is accurate tho because alot of guys have there TM tuned down to 10% or lil more and there trannys run fine.

·
I yam what I yam
619 Posts
CazG8,

I don't want to sit and argue with you either. But I am still suspect of what GM told you. How does a timming chain strech just because you didn't change the oil early? Sorry but that dosen't pass the smell test for me. Also I've heard a lot of lies and half truths out of GM lately that have left a bad taste in my mouth.

If the OLM was an issue, wouldn't there be a recall to flash it? Quick and simple process.

There is more than a ton of research on oil out there. With the modern day oils and addatives along with the synthetics, 3k oil changes are a thing of the past and your just dumping money down the drain.

Hell, even Harley says to change the oil every 5K and a air cooled motor is a lot harder on oil than a water cooled motor will ever be.

And yes, I followed the OLM when changing the oil in my G8, about 10K between oil changes. I also followed it in my '04 Chevy truck which now has 80K miles and no issues.

The timming chain is just a bad design with inferior metals, plain and simple. But it would cost GM a ton of money to recall and replace them. So instead, they take the gamble that most of them will last thru the warrenty. It's cheapier for them to replace a few than replace them all.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
This saw us make 337rwkw with 12 psi boost. I don't have the dynograph on me but this was made at approx 6200rpm producing 1150nm torque or so.
1150nm = 848 lb-ft.

It really made that much? That power, rpm, and torque combination doesn't really compute...

·
452rwhp LY7
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
This saw us make 337rwkw with 12 psi boost. I don't have the dynograph on me but this was made at approx 6200rpm producing 1150nm torque or so.
1150nm = 848 lb-ft.

It really made that much? That power, rpm, and torque combination doesn't really compute...
You're probably right mate, as you can see in my original quote above they are "approx figures" as I didn't have the dynograph with me. I'm geographically dislocated from the workshop at the moment but I will get the precise figures for you as soon as I can.

For the time being, looking at a picture on my phone from earlier dyno runs we made 313rwkw at 6200rpm and later 335rwkw at 6577rpm so my original statement was slightly off in regards to rpm, wouldve been closer to 6600rpm, if you have better eyes than me you might be able to read exactly what it was in the video I originally posted. We were making close to 1150nm however.

In the very near future expect a figure that blows the current one right out of the water anyway... The figure in question here is already old news ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey guys,
I'm the one responsible for all the work on SVZT's vehicle........ I though id join up and help out with any further questions you might all have regarding this machine!

So firstly let me start by saying hello to all......

As mentioned any questions regarding our turbo kit, feel free to ask. Also we have done a turbo kit to suit the VE model, if you jump and Like our Facebook page you can see all of the progress from it. There's also a You Tube vid of that car as well if you check out our channel!

Cheers

·
Registered
456 Posts
Thanks for chiming in ProFlowFab. What can you say about our Bosch ECM and tuning options?

-Dennis-

·
Registered
864 Posts
+1^...

·
Registered
419 Posts
Ive got the V8 but its still an interesting and informative read. Thank you both for the posts and welcome to the board! FWIW, Id be happy with 452rwhp from my V8...havent got there yet, but I will. Thanks again guys.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I havent got any software to tune the Bosch ECM....... As im a Haltech dealer, ive been wiring up these units to do all my turbo tuning.

Ive also got VCM/HP tuners which tunes the earlier model PCM's found on the VZ, but they dont like boost due to the Torque Management. I hate being restricted when it comes to tuning so im happy to wire up an aftermarket ECU to give me the freedom that i need. As you can see from SVZT's car the results speak for themselves (E85, 2000cc injectors, etc).

21 - 40 of 57 Posts